At your visit in Romania eat an amazing dessert: plum dumplings (găluşte cu prune). It is sweet, but fresh, hearty but light and it will make you wanna taste it again and again.
You can find plum dumplings
at almost every traditional restaurant, especially in autumn. Until you come to Romania, or it if you miss this dessert, try to make at home plum dumplings.
are a typical Austro-Hungarian dessert, made from dough slightly salty with a fruit stuffing and garnished with browned breadcrumbs in butter, sweetened and flavored. Hungarians name this dumplings “Szilvás gombóc”, and in Transylvania, a lot of Romanians call them also “gomboţ”. But at restaurants you usually will find them as “găluşti cu prune”.
The recipe is quite easy to do!
What do you need:
How you do it:
- 4 potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 8 tablespoons of flour
- 4 tbsp semolina
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 40 grams of butter
- ~ 150 grams of bread crumbs
- Sugar to the taste
- Vanilla sugar and / or cinnamon powder
- 11 plums broken in half
- Peel potatoes all thoroughly washed and boil them. When they are well cooked, drain the water and let it cool enough. Crush the potatoes with a fork or with a mixer.
- Add two whole eggs, a pinch of salt, 4 tablespoons of semolina and 8 tablespoons of flour. Knead quickly until you obtain a soft dough still sticky in hands.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the breadcrumbs. Heat oil in a pan, then add the butter.
When the butter has melted completely, add the breadcrumbs and brown them, stirring frequently so they do not burn.
- Add caster sugar (to taste) and seeds from a vanilla pod.
- Mix well and cover with a lid, because vanilla seeds to develop flavor in breadcrumbs still hot.
- Meanwhile put a large pot with water to boil. When the water almost boils, add in a teaspoon of salt and proceed to shape the dumplings. With hands constantly doused with water break off pieces of dough about the size of a plum, flattening palm and add halves plums beforehand prepared.
- Close the dough gently over plum dumplings rounded in wet palms and dive them one at a time in boiling water.
- Shortly, the dumplings will rise to the surface. At this point reduce heat to minimum and cook for 4-7 minutes on low boil, because the semolina in composition to absorb moisture, tender dough, and the plum inside to boil and it.
- When ready, drain well water dumplings and roll them in breadcrumbs prepared beforehand.
- Arrange on a platter and serve! Good appetite!